Sunday, June 20, 2010

Franken-Scents

We have many senses, and the sense of smell is one of the strongest. It can conjure memories and rile the imagination within seconds. One whiff of your favorite perfume can bring you back to a magical moment or create a sense of excitement for the future. My first strong association with a perfume was actually that of a cologne, Calvin Klein Eternity. I was 13 and on my first date (a double date). My date was wearing said cologne and chewing mint gum. I can't even tell you what movie we saw, but what I do remember is the distinct aroma of CK Eternity mixed with spearmint gum. To this day, if for some weird chance I encounter that musky scent mixed with minty gum, I am whisked back to that dark movie theater and for just a fleeting moment the butterflies in my stomach return. 

Other times, I might be out at the beach and the smell of suntan lotion mixes with the smell of barbecue and all of a sudden an intense childhood memory slams into me, causing momentary pause.

As I've gotten older though, I've realized just how sensitive I am to perfumes. When I lived in New York and took the subway every day to and from work, I would sometimes end up sitting next to a woman wearing a particular scent and found myself feeling incredibly nauseous the entire ride. I told myself it was the floral aroma that didn't agree with me. But as I've come to learn, it was less likely the fragrance choice and more likely the ingredients that effected me.

Our olfactory senses are pretty powerful and at the mercy of the corporate Perfumers. There are so many to chose from. Any woman entering a mall is aware of this. What department is on the ground floor begging sampling of any one scent out of a hundred? The perfume counter meanders it's way through the cosmetic department and presents poised, perfect women holding beautiful crystal bottles of scented elixir just waiting for you. Some are floral, some are fruity and some are musky. Some are endorsed by celebrities, others have exotic names and images. The one thing most all have in common is that they contain toxic chemicals that absorb directly into your skin and stay with you for a lifetime. 

Believe me, I feel horrible with each one of these posts. You may think I secretly enjoy this, but honestly with each article I encounter that dashes yet another beauty/health fantasy I am crushed. The thing is, I also get very angry and that's what prompts me to write these posts. The idea that companies knowingly produce and sell product that is harmful, and I trustingly spend my hard earned money on that product, leaves me frustrated and feeling powerless.

Which is why after reading this article put out by the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics I decided to write this post. It explains just how toxic most perfumes are. As I've mentioned in past posts, the cosmetic industry pretty much runs unchecked by the FDA. This article outlines how a study was commissioned by the Environmental Defense and Campaign for Safe Cosmetics that shows that there are many perfumes that contain dozens of what it calls "secret chemicals" that are not required by law to be listed on labels. The study reviewed 17 name brand perfumes, including: Jennifer Lopez J. Lo Glow, Britney Spears Curious, Victoria's Secret Dream Angels Heavenly, Halle by Halle Berry, Coco Mademoiselle Chanel and Clinique Happy, to name a few. 

Galaxolide and tonalide, two synthetic scents that were found in 16 of the 17 perfumes tested,  have shown up in umbilical cord blood samples of new born infants. This means that the babies are exposed to these chemicals while they are in the womb, and these chemicals get into their system and stay there. Galaxolide and tonalide are not only used to scent perfumes, but also soaps and detergents.

DEP, another chemical found in 12 of the 17 perfumes tested has been linked to abnormal development of reproductive organs in baby boys and sperm damage in adult men.

Due to a trade secret loophole, half of the ingredients in the products tested were not listed on labels because they are allowed to fall under the generic heading 'fragrance' in order to protect their secret formula. But all is not hopeless, there are responsible companies out there and actions we can take as consumers.


Here are 3 easy things you can do to make a difference:

1. Buy natural perfumes:
  • Use the Skin Deep advanced search to find products that do not include synthetic fragrances  and nasty chemicals.
  • Check out the Whole Body section of Whole Foods where they offer essential oils that give you the same range of scents that you can find at the perfume counter.  
  • For a more crafted perfume, search for all natural scents such as Aftelier Perfumes, which offers beautiful fragrances at  no cost to your health.

2. Help pass smarter, health-protective laws not only requiring companies to list all ingredients on the packaging, but also to help eliminate harmful ingredients altogether:

3. Support companies that fully disclose ingredients in their products (see page 36 of the attached report).



Here's to safer, sweeter spritzing!

2 comments:

  1. great post! i first read about the insane perfume industry in 'Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster'. aside from all the toxic ingredients in perfume (which is a major issue in itself!), like many designer goods, perfume is an extension of the brand (i.e. chloe, chanel, marc jacobs) that is much more accessible and affordable than the handbag, pair of shoes, or outfit. and since most people want a piece of the "luxury" they'll buy what they can afford. i'm all for buying into a piece of the affordable luxury, but not at the cost of toxins, child labor, low wages, etc...which is usually the case for mass produced goods.

    thanks for always giving us such great insight. and i love knowing the easy things i can do to help. i'm signing both petitions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is so interesting how perfumes are positioned as an affordable extension of high end brands. It's one of those things as a consumer, unless someone points it out, you might never consider for yourself! I'm going to check that book out. Thanks for the info!

    Thanks too for signing the petitions Slim!

    ReplyDelete